The Truth About Landlords Reporting Tenants To Credit Bureaus To Impact Their Score

Announcements and articles for tenants will be posted here along with helpful posts from the New Tenant Help Forum.
TenantClass

The Truth About Landlords Reporting Tenants To Credit Bureaus To Impact Their Score

#1 Unread post by TenantClass » December 10th, 2023, 7:51 pm

TENANTS: What Is The Truth About Landlords Reporting Tenants To Credit Bureaus?

Does It Really Have A Big Impact? No!

I was threatened by landlord that he could “ruin” my credit score or he could “save” me from “living on the cold hard street” by him personally raising my credit score.

I was very upset.

Not only because I have two young children so the threat of “living on the cold hard street” liberally meant we might FREEZE TO DEATH if we didn’t obey our lord and so-called master.

THREATS, THREATS AND MORE THREATS FROM SMALL LANDLORDS

For sure some landlords are using this as a weapon so I did a deep dive into it and found even landlords are warning other landlords!

Let’s see what even they are saying.

THE REALITY IS TENANT REPORTING IS NOT EFFECTIVE LOWERING YOUR CREDIT SCORE OR RAISING IT!!!

Are Some People Just Trying To Sell It To You For Money?

Even Some Credit Bureaus Say It’s Just “Marketing” To Attract Landlords To Pay For Memberships.

It Should Be “Free” As It’s Not Really Impactful On A Tenants Credit Score!

Landlords across Canada know buying a rental property and becoming a landlord can become a great opportunity. You buy a great property and rent it out and not only do you get rent to pay off your mortgage, your property may also appreciate.

Many New Landlords Aren’t Aware Of the Challenges in Ontario

Being a landlord seems very simple. However, many new landlords quickly realize how complicated the rules are in Ontario.

Many Ontario landlords are unaware of rules such as:

1. Tenants can go month by month when the lease ends, even if they agreed it would end

2. All tenants get free legal help if they have an issue with their landlord

3. Tenants don’t have to pay a security deposit in Ontario.

Due To The Tenant-Friendly Policies Many Landlords Are Looking For Easy Solutions.

And why not?

The Ontario Residential Act is the set of laws for landlords and Ontario tenants. The laws in Ontario are very tenant-friendly and treat tenants like ‘victims’ and landlords as bullies with great power and lots of money.

It can even take over six months just to get a Hearing date at the Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board.

What About Reporting Your Bad Tenants To The Credit Bureaus?

This is just personal opinions and not directed at any individuals or specific companies. It’s our opinions based on the research we’ve done on this segment of the industry.

In the United States groups such as Mr. Landlord have been reporting renters to Landlord Credit Bureaus for years. They allow landlords to report to landlord credit bureaus such as Transunion, Experian and Equifax. We spoke to them and other experienced landlords and found the following:

According to these landlord groups and the Bureaus reporting to landlord credit bureaus is only a very small part of running a successful rental property business because the impact of reporting is minimal, tiny, not a “game-changer”.

Some USA landlord groups don’t even charge you to report because they know it’s not very effective.

They offer if for free to landlords with no membership fees!

But they do offer collection services to help you get rent owed for a percentage of what is owed to you (if they ever collect, which is not often. Tenants can just declare bankruptcy and you won’t collect a cent).

The Truth About Landlords Reporting Tenants To Credit Bureaus

To help landlords we were in touch with credit bureaus and experts such as Transunion and Experian about how landlord credit bureau reporting really works.

Here is what we found

1. How Much Does Reporting To Landlord Credit Bureaus Really Impact Tenant Credit Scores (To Go UP or DOWN )?

It’s really minimal.

I Was Tricked! Reporting Renters To Credit Bureaus Doesn’t Have Any Dramatic Impact!

Some companies want you to think the landlord can report and make a huge change in their Tenants score (both good and bad) to control them but that is false and anyone saying this is a just marketing or isn’t aware of how it works.

How much impact the credit score is dependent on many factors such as the consumer’s existing credit profile (or lack thereof.)

We learned Credit bureau studies all vary in the average amounts of increase in score b/c each study has a different input set

Some companies are trying to market and make you think your can “help” your tenants or “nail” your tenants but this is just marketing…it’s not true.

2. So How Impactful Is Landlords Reporting Tenants To Credit Bureaus in Reality? The reality is that in most cases it’s not dramatic at all!

Landlord reporting won’t make a tenants score go up or down in any dramatic way because it’s just a minor part of the ‘bigger picture.’ If any company says “dramatic” it’s just marketing to get your money.

3. Do Tenants Need To Consent To Be Reported? Yes, You Should!

Most credit bureaus said to be fair and avoid potential issues landlords will have something in their agreements/leases they will inform tenants they can report to the bureaus.

Fair and legitimate companies will ensure landlords get their tenants approval for reporting and be open and transparent on this

4. What Is The Time Frame For Landlords To Report Tenants Who Don’t Pay?

Does reporting payment or non-payment of rent on the 2nd day of the month impact a tenants’ credit score?

No.

This is not true according to the credit bureaus we spoke to.

Landlords will need to report until the tenants rent is 30 plus days due so you can’t just “nail” your Tenant on Day #2 as some people who make money from memberships advertise.

According the the Credit Bureaus we contacted the real system (hidden from landlords) is reporting 90+ days of non payment days to make just a blip of change.

Just Pay Your Membership Fee And You LORD Control Your Tenants Lives Forever! Trust Me Just Me, And Don’t Ask Too Many Questions. No Details Coming, Pay Me!!

There is no “You Didn’t Pay Rent So I Can Crush Your Credit Score” or “You Paid I Can Raise Your Credit Score”.

It’s just marketing.

5. How About Marketing Tenant Reporting Will Help Tenants Build Credit?

This is a major marketing tool for some companies to get landlords to pay for the service.

6. Does A Landlord Reporting Rent Is Paid Really Raise A Tenants Credit Score?

Will The Score Go Up By Hundreds Of Points To Really Help Tenants?

No.

ola don't believe the hype

This is why if you ask the reporting companies to tell you “how much will reporting help the score” they cannot tell you.

Go ahead and ask them for specifics!

Landlord Reporting For Good Or Bad Has No Dramatic Impact on Tenants! Some Companies Just Want To Make You Think It’s A Great Solution, Tricking Both Landlords and Tenants.

In reality it takes at least a few months for rent payments to even show up on a credit report!

And the only “real” result is if a Tenant doesn’t pay you for 2 years!

Landlord Credit Bureau Reporting – How Much Does Reporting Change Their Score Each Month?

The bureaus told us it’s basically nothing. Many companies advertise to get memberships.

Bureaus told us:

Reporting can marginally influence scores.

According to the Bureaus these companies cannot guarantee or say for what the real impact will be about harming or helping build credit.

If you doubt this ask a “reporting” company claiming this for details.

They cannot guarantee it and often refuse to let landlords and tenants know how they really operate and claim this is private and none of your business (proprietary)

https://ontariolandlords.org/blog/the-t ... eview=true